Armchair Organizer for Remotes w/Magazine Holder

I made this armchair organizer by simply googling some pictures and freestyling it.

I started by measuring the arm of the chair I needed it for.  I didn’t want it to hang too low.

 

 

 

 

I cut the following for the main piece of the organizer:

  • Cut 1-  47″x14″ main fabric (I used a flowered canvas print to make it more durable)
  • Cut 1 – 47″x14″ lining (I used muslin as a lining here but the lining is optional)

With right sides facing, I sewed the main pieces of fabric and lining together.  I sewed around all borders leaving a 4″ opening to turn it inside out.  Once inside out, I pressed the opening shut.  It will be sewn closed once I attach the pockets.

Next, I cut the following for the pockets:

  • Cut 3 – 5″x14″ main fabric pocket pieces
  • Cut 3 – 5″x14″ lining pocket pieces

(The hardest part is always cutting fabric.  I have a helper that’s not so helpful but I don’t have the heart to tell him.  Strange how every time I layout some fabric, both of my dogs come around and park it right on top.  Wonder if anyone else has this problem?)

With right sides facing, I sewed each of the pockets to a piece of lining. I sewed around all borders leaving a 2″ opening to turn it inside out.  Once inside out, I pressed the opening shut.  It will be sewn closed once I attach the pockets.

I folded the main piece behind itself to form a 15″ magazine slot.  Wrong sides should be facing.  Sew in place.

I pinned the pockets in position.  I overlapped them 1/2″ to hide my seams but it is not necessary.  I sewed each pocket in place starting with the top-most piece.  I sewed 2 lines vertically down the length of the pocket to form 3 smaller pockets.  And I sewed one line down the middle of the second pocket to form 2 pockets.  I left the bottom pocket alone to form one long pocket.

This was an easy project for a beginner sewer like myself and now my mom wants one too!

If you decide to try one out too, I’d love to see it!